Friday, August 10, 2007

Eendrag Burns!

This was the scene at Stellenbosch University yesterday:

One of their residences, Eendrag, caught fire yesterday early morning. Most of the third floor and roof is completely destroyed! There were only two injured, although one of them is likely to be permanently paralyzed!

Two of the members of the IOI team I will be taking to Croatia next week, Ralf Kistner and Dirk-B Coetzee, used to live there. Luckily they don't seem to have been affected too much by it in terms of damaged property. One of their friends, who also lived there, posted a couple comments on a previous post. There's a large collections of photos and a video here and some comments by the students here.

I hope for all the best in recovering from this disaster, and especially that the injured recover as much as possible.


  1. Hmm I would have liked to download that video of 442mb, if only I was still on the university network!

  2. Just downloaded it today. Frightening watching it!

    We were speaking with Ralf and Dirk about it today as well and it seems they were really very lucky. Ralf was 1st floor so no damage. Dirk was second floor so his room was hosed, which didn't cause much damage. His pc and monitor miraculously survived even though it was on.

    Apparently they said there was a braai the night before in the area the fire started and that might be the cause. Haven't seen this reported anywhere though. All I've heard is a cigarette bug, which they also mentioned, and a TV.

    Hope all improves quickly as this sounds like they're in a really chaotic situation.